Featured Decorating Ideas for the Home
Below is an extensive list of decorating ideas for your home or office. If you would like assistance
with any of the ideas listed, please give us a call at the number above. We are here to help
you with your home project, so call us today to see how we can help.
- When selecting paint colors, take into consideration the size position and function of the
room. Pale colors such as blue, green, and lavender will expand and brighten a small dimly lit
room; yellows and whites also expand a room and make them more airy and cheerful. Warm dark
tones such as reds, browns, and oranges can make a large room cold room appear cozy. When choosing
a color scheme, you will need to decide whether you wish the paintwork to create a strong visual
impact, using vivid primary colors, or to form a neutral, natural-toned backdrop.
- Using the same color or different shades of the same color will have a unifying effect.
- Contrasting colors emphasize a handsome piece of furniture or a beautiful art object by placing
it against a wall in a contrast color for a background either lighter or darker.
- Color can establish a focal point. In a perfectly square room, it can be made more interesting
by painting one wall an accent wall or doing a faux finish on the accent wall.
- When selecting colors, look at the dominant pieces of furniture in your room. A dominant furniture
color , particularly if it is a deep rich color will be reflected all around the room and influence
how the other colors appear.
- The intensity of light in most rooms varies during the day. Light intensity affects tone and
color. Still another tone will be created at night by artificial lighting.
- If you want to make your ceilings appear lower, then paint the ceiling 2 shades lighter than
the walls of the same color family. If you want the ceiling to appear higher than paint the
- If you have a long narrow room you want to make wider, paint the shorter walls a darker color
of the same family.
- Moulding and doors are normally painted white. There are a variety of different whites, Dunn
Edwards Suisse Coffee is very popular for mouldings.
- The only way to see how a color is going to look is to buy a quart and paint a large sample
on several walls and look at it for a few days. Most paint samples will appear darker on the
wall then on the paint sample. Be sure to let it dry completely first.